Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Unholy Yarnings

I am a bit of a whore for textiles. And I love horror movies. Hence, Unholy Yarnings--my fledgling line of horror-themed handspun yarns. I use the the term of art "line" very loosely. There is only one, and it is really just a prototype--me thinking with my hands and making it up as I go, if you will.

I call it Coagulating Bride.

It is a strand of white bamboo with a few strands of angelina, plied with a hand-dyed strand of red-streaked bamboo with hand-dyed soy gobbets. Think blood-soaked bride. I don't know whether the dye is vegetarian or not , but the fibers are, which I think is pretty cool.

The most fun was playing with the dye, mixing up the bloodiest red and streaking up the fiber. My kitchen came out remarkably unscathed, despite my basic dismissal of all safety and protective precautions. My garage floor, however, looks a teeny bit crime-sceney.

The first round was too pink, but I got new dye powders and achieved a more satisfying gobbety red. The pic on the left is the bad pinky bamboo; on the right is the soaking soy.

The rinsing part was tedious but very CSI/Bonesy/random innardsy. Or at least how I claim to imagine random innards to be, as of course you cannot prove that I have practical knowledge of such things.


As a side note, Oxy and Magic Erasers can have a white porcelain-coated sink looking like new in no time.

And the final product, coming in at 73 yards:


I will definitely do it differently next time--maybe dye the streaks after spinning, and do it more streakily, and maybe ply the (still pre-dyed) gobbets in with a super-thin strand of bamboo/angelina. I dunno. I have some leftovers, we'll see.

As if you needed proof that I am a wild and crazy gal.

Pizzeace.

No comments:

Post a Comment