Sunday, May 10, 2009

Yummy vegan oatmeal cookies!

I am not a recipe person--I cook a lot, and I make up plenty of dishes, but I don't so much, like, measure in the strictest sense of the word. Ask my sister, she has emotional scars from trying to take down my mac & cheese recipe. But it yielded a funny blog on her MySpace! Which I cannot locate...must have been a while back. But I digress.

This recipe was born out of a desire for cookies that at least sound healthy, and made vegan by a spousal misplacement of ovum. The Spouse had bought eggs, but three days later we couldn't find them anywhere. There was a brief scare where we thought they might be in the pantry... *shudder* Alas, they were not. But without eggs I figured what the hell, lets go full vegan.

I made a test half batch that I feel was a success, so I made a full batch and actually--gulp--MEASURED ingredients and wrote down the temperature and baking time, etc. It was very unnatural for me, but my discomfort didn't make the cookies any less delicious. So, without further ado, my first reasonable, measurable, followable-by-all recipe:

VEGAN GORAM HIPPIE OATMEAL COOKIES
1/2 C soy butter, softened
3/4 C maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon (or more--cinnamon good!)
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
1 1/2 C rolled oats

Goodie mix:
1/2 C vegan chocolate chips
1/4 C flax seeds
1/4 C red raisins and dried cranberries, chopped
1/4 C black walnuts, chopped

Mix soy butter and maple syrup; add in vanilla, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda; work in the flour, then the oats; finally, add the goodies. Really you can use anything you like here--fruit, nuts, whatev--just use about a cup. I realize my recipe actually totals 1 1/4 cup of goodies, but flax seeds are tiny and fill in all the spaces between the chunkier stuff, and I was sort of reverse-engineering the mix from a bowl of stuff I had mixed earlier...math and recipes make me uncomfortable, just work with me here. Put in a cup or so of stuff, it'll be fine.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 7-8 minutes--cookies won't really get much browner, but theyill look dry on top.

100% Spouse approved!


(full disclosure--I did not use vegan chocolate, I used Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips, which, if you are not vegan, are damn yummy)

2 comments:

  1. The cookies look delicious! Vegan, not vegan...as long as it is yummy, I will eat it. I enjoy your creative recipes and recognize them as a sign of a skilled intuitive cook. At least that is what my brother always tells me when he tries to tell me how to make something he cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NerdGirl, I like your brother's line...it is much better than "you just, you know, DO it" which is my usual explanation.

    And an UPDATE--the eggs were located. A week after purchase. In the back of the car. They have now been sent to that great landfill in the sky.

    ReplyDelete